It’s amazing how many home sellers spend a considerable amount of time and money getting the interior of their home ready for showings, yet they pay almost no attention to that all-important first look at their home’s exterior. As your Coldwell Banker real estate professional can tell you, some buyers won’t even bother taking a look inside at all if the outside falls well below their expectations. Even if you’re successful in drawing your prospective buyers inside, they’ve already started to form opinions about your home before they’re even out of the car. So, step up your home’s curb appeal. Here are a few ideas that you can do yourself with minimum expense and just a few hours work:
- Make your front door ‘pop’ with colour – Paint your front door in a rich contrasting colour that differs from the rest of your exterior. Be bold, but not garish – wine red or royal blue will really draw the eye.
- Upgrade your door with ‘accessories’ – A new doorknocker, foot plate, mailbox or house numbers will all take your doorway ‘up a notch’. When choosing new accessories, don’t just pick what looks best at the store. Make sure they complement the style and period of your architecture.
- Spring cleaning to the max – The weather’s already improving, so get an early start on sweeping or even power-washing the walk and driveway.
- Add ‘presence’ to your entranceway – It’s easy to make a statement with the use of urns and planters. Try two black cast iron planters flanking your front walk or on your porch. Use hardy, colourful plants that will last.
- Use ‘borrowed finery’ to create ambiance – Who says you have to break the bank to make a good first impression? Ask family and friends for the loan of some of their lawn furniture and ornaments while your home is up for sale. You can return that sundial or statue as soon as it’s sold!
Want more tips on how to show off your home to its best advantage? Contact The Mash Team, and get the benefit of their expert advice!